Saturday, March 4, 2023

Robert Mondavi Private Selection Malbec (Wine Folly)

 

The second wine I had for this week (3/4/23) was Robert Mondavi's Malbec. This wine is a red varietal table wine made in Acampo, California. I got this wine for also about $9 and its vintage is 2019. It has an alcohol percentage of 13.5 percent and is made from the Malbec wine grape. I was able to get full bottle of wine this week since I was home and I could share them with my parents who like to drink wine.

Winemaker's Notes:

 "Our 2019 Malbec is a deep, rich ruby in color and opens with aromas of blueberry, boysenberry, red berry, leather, and baking spice. Complex flavors of blueberry and boysenberry follow, with a hint of vanilla and baking spice on the palate. Enjoy this full-bodied wine with roasted and grilled meats, roasted potatoes, mushrooms, and strong cheeses."

Robert Mondavi Private Selection Malbec 2019 | 750 ML. - Winedeals. https://www.winedeals.com/robert-mondavi-private-selection-malbec-2019-750-ml-68911.html.


Wine Info:

From the Wine Folly Book (page 125-126), it talks about the Malbec wine grape. "Argentina's most important variety came by way of France, where it's commonly called Côt. Wines are loved for their bold fruit flavors and smooth chocolaty finish." It continues talking about how you can pair it with leaner meats and melted blue cheeses because it doesn't have a long finish like Cabernet. This wine can have hints of red plum, blackberry, vanilla, sweet tobacco, and cocoa. This wine is fairly common and is mostly grown in Argentina. You can usually expect to spend around $15 for a bottle and can store it up to 5 to 10 years to help age it.


My Own Review/Experience With This Wine:

This wine was really weird in my opinion. When I first opened it up, it had this weird stinky sour aroma. In the wine glass it smelled sour and smelled a little like plum or blackberry. When I tasted it, it had a medium body and was very sour. I tasted flavors of rubber (tires) which could be the sweet tobacco flavor listed in the Wine Folly Book. I also thought it was really acidic and did have hints of blackberry. I did not pair this wine with food. Overall, I did not like how this wine tasted and it may taste better if it had been better paired with food.

 

 

 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Barefoot Pinot Noir (Wine Folly)

  For the second wine this Saint Patrick's night (3/17/23), I had another Barefoot wine. But this time it was a Barefoot Pinot Noir. Thi...