Saturday, January 21, 2023

First Wine Experience (Wine Tasting) - Pinot Grigio (Wine Folly)

 

 
I recently did my first wine tasting (1/18/2023) and tried many different wines, but I am
going to talk about my experience with my first wine, Chateau Morrisette’s Pinot Grigio. 
I went to someone’s apartment who hosted the wine tasting and said it cost $9.99. This
is a varietal dry white table wine. Pinot Grigio is made from the wine grape, Pinot Gris. 
This wine was made in the Eastern part of the United States, Floyd Virginia and its 
vintage is in 2018. 

            Review of Wine Online:


            “We were impressed with the Bordeaux blend and a couple of whites. The pinot grigio 

            is better than half of the cheap stuff that comes from Italy. I would have actually liked to 

            have seen the vineyards. They claim to grow all the grapes there but we could not tell.


            We purchased a bottle of Pinot Grigio, the Bordeaux blend and their cherry wine. I am 

            not quite sure why, but for $10 we can put it over ice cream or use it to mix or make 

            other things. I would not drink this straight. Fun stuff anyway.”


            Citation: 

Tabhauser. “Easy Place off the Blue Ridge Parkway, Ask for Ray Self to Serve - Review 

of Chateau Morrisette Winery, Floyd, VA.” Tripadvisor

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g57737-d527324-r818330109-Chateau_Morrisette_Winery-Floyd_Virginia.html.

From the Wine Folly Book (Page 149), it talks about the Pinot Grigio (Gris) and how it 

"is a pink grape mutation of Pinot Noir that’s most famous for its zesty white wines that 

range in style from dry to just plain sweet.” It also says it’s usually in a cellar for 1-5 years 

and it is pretty commonly grown in many places. (About 107,948 acres of land growing 

this wine grape in the world.)

 

My experience of the aroma of the wine was that it had a not-very-intense sweet/tangy 

aroma. The wine had a not very strong flavor, it was mostly sour/tangy with a hint of 

sweetness. This sweetness was probably from the honeysuckle, pear, and apple plant 

content used to flavor the wine. I could feel the alcohol in my mouth and seemed to 

experience that as the wine was out in the glass longer, it became sourer. I did not eat 

anything with the wine and I thought it wasn’t bad, but I wouldn’t say Chateau Morrisette’s 

Pinot Grigio is my favorite drink.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Barefoot Pinot Noir (Wine Folly)

  For the second wine this Saint Patrick's night (3/17/23), I had another Barefoot wine. But this time it was a Barefoot Pinot Noir. Thi...